January, the ideal time to re-evaluate your health choices and cleanse away all of last years toxins.
Why do our bodies need a detox?
Every day, we are exposed to harmful toxins both from internal and external environments. Over time, these toxins build up and affect our health by creating inflammation, a build up of free radicals and acidity in the body. All these combined factors prematurely age the body and trigger illnesses.
How can you tell you need a detox?
Symptoms of excessive toxin build-up include frequent headaches, digestive problems, multiple allergies, sluggish metabolism, skin problems, chronic fatigue and difficulties in losing or gaining weight.
What can a detox achieve?
Hormonal balance, effective digestive system weight management, healthy skin, a strong immune system and overall optimal health are some of the benefits you can reap from detoxifying your body.
A balanced Detox Diet:
- Choose organic foods which are not contaminated with chemicals
- Choose high fibre foods e.g. oats, seeds, nuts, whole grains and cereals
- Avoid saturated fats, trans-fats and sugars. Instead, choose essential fatty acids rich in omega 3 found in oily fish, nuts and seeds.
- Drink plenty of purified water
- Increase intake of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices
- Choose protein from plant sources such as lentils, beans and peas
- Choose whole foods as a source of quality carbohydrate i.e. whole grain, brown rice, quinoa etc.
- Consume herbal teas
- Consume super foods e.g. spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass and chlorella
Our in-house nutritionist recommends several supplements when looking to detox:
- Renew life range, natures secret range, the real thing among others contain herbal extracts such as milk thistle, dandelion, burdock root, marshmallow, chlorella, red clover etc which supports proper detoxification.
- Antioxidants such as glutathione, vitamins C & E, coenzyme Q10 which support detoxification in the liver
- Psyllium husks, maxicol which provide fibre which aids bowel movement and growth of friendly bacteria.
- Cleansing herbs work by up-regulating the detoxification functions thus they don’t flush out vitamins and other supplements.
- It’s recommended to allow about one hour between detox formulas and other supplements.
An all-natural foods program that results in successful long-term Weight Management. It was developed in Europe by physicians and nutrition scientists, and is backed by over 25 years of research.
The foundation of the program is Metabolic Balance’s unique capability to develop a truly personalized nutrition plan based upon an in-depth analysis of your unique blood values, medical history and personal likes and dislikes.
Your personalized nutrition plan acts as your “road-map”, indicating exactly which natural foods you should eat in order to orchestrate the biochemical changes needed for reaching your desirable weight and health goals.
The program works with your own bio-chemistry and the root causes of how and why you store and release energy and fat. The biochemical changes not only help you Lose Weight but also Balance Hormones, Strengthen the Immune System and Optimize Overall Health. Metabolic Balance is not a diet but a hormone-balancing program which helps our clients shed pounds naturally.
You are accompanied through the four phases of your program by a certified Metabolic Balance coach. Your personal coach guides you towards reaching your ideal weight, avoid yo-yo dieting and helps you to embrace the amazing realization of a new healthy lifestyle and a true awareness of well-being.
Healthy U will have trained coaches located at Sarit Centre, Yaya Centre and Hilton to help you through your diet plan. Most of the foods recommended for the program are available in our stores, and we have in place allocated spaces with the food items recommended for the program, in the above mentioned stores as well as Lavington branch.
Lactose intolerance is prevalent mainly in adults and is caused by a deficiency or lack of lactase, the required enzyme to digest lactose. It is believed most people lose the ability to produce lactase after a certain age and some stop producing it as a result of digestive damage caused by illnesses such as IBS, ulcerative colitis and celiac disease.
Some of the symptoms of lactose intolerance include abdominal cramps, bloating, gas and diarrhea.
Luckily for those who suffer from this intolerance, there are several substitutes available on the market today:
Non-dairy cheese; produced mainly from soya protein concentrate and coconut oil which provide many health benefits. This is also a good option for those who suffer from high cholesterol.
Non-dairy ice-cream; also suitable for vegetarians and vegans, the ice-cream is made from almond and vegetable oils. A great option for those who are diabetic and gluten intolerant.
Plant-based milk; 100% plant based, the vast options available are high in B vitamins and calcium. Most of the varieties available are often preferred by the “eat-clean generation” due to their high nutrient, low fat, low sugar components.
Non-dairy desserts; free of artificial flavours and sweeteners, these plant-based desserts can be enjoyed guilt-free.
Goats milk; made from pasteurized goat’s milk, this is a highly nutritious alternative to dairy and is becoming a common preference that parents choose for children.
Optimal nutrition before, during and after pregnancy is essential for not only the mother but her baby too.
- Some nutrient deficiencies have been shown to contribute to congenital abnormalities and birth defects.
- Also, gestational under nutrition contributes to increase offspring’s susceptibility to chronic conditions such as diabetes and hypertension among others in adulthood.
- Proper nutrition makes conception easier and helps prevent possible miscarriages, promotes a healthy pregnancy and the birth of a healthy baby.
- It can also help to lessen or avoid the common problems experienced during pregnancy.
- The pre-conceptual plan should take at least 3 months it takes for the egg and sperm cells to fully mature.
YOUR PRE- NATAL PLAN
How can you boost fertility and provide a good foundation for a healthy pregnancy?
- Avoid/reduce foods, drinks or substances which reduce fertility i.e.
- Smoking – Smoking is linked to infertility in women and contributes to reduced sperm count in men
- Alcohol – Studies have shown that women who drink less are more likely to get pregnant. Research has shown that alcohol reduces sperm count and increases abnormal sperm cells in men. In addition, it decreases the absorption of important minerals such as zinc.
- Xenoestrogens – These are environmental oestrogen from pesticides and plastics which can cause hormonal imbalance. Consuming organic produce helps to eliminate such compounds.
- Caffeine – Drinking a lot of caffeine especially in form of coffee may reduce fertility.
- Do a proper detox/cleansing e.g. a whole body detox
- By removing toxins from the vital body organs such as the liver, kidneys, blood, gastro-intestinal tract and lungs among others you can improve hormonal balance (liver), improve circulation especially to the reproductive organs and enhance proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Consume a suitable diet which provides the full spectrum of nutrients.
- This helps to avoid common deficiencies during pregnancy s
- Nutrients such as iron, folate and other b vitamins, vitamin A, calcium and vitamin D, zinc, omega 3s and probiotics are very important.
- Also, supplementing quality pre-natal multi-vitamin and mineral complex can provide these nutrients in proper proportions and formulations.
Proper nutrition may help to lessen or prevent common problems associated with pregnancy such as morning sickness, constipation, heart burn, weight problems, pre-eclampsia, pre-mature labor and infections.
These important nutrients include;
- Folic acid – Prevents neural tube defects such as spina bifida
- Iron- helps in hemoglobin formation which transports oxygen throughout the body. During pregnancy the amount of blood in the body increases steadily hence more iron is required.
- Omega 3 fats – Provides DHA and EPA which are essential to build a healthy brain.
- Calcium and vitamin D – For proper development of bones and teeth. Also, it prevents the loss of bone minerals in mothers.
- Zinc – Required for proper growth and development and for immune boosting.
It’s important to note that all nutrients are required in proper proportions to support optimal health for both the mother and the developing fetus.
The important food choices to obtain these nutrients include:
- Organic green leafy vegetables and fruits– They are high in fiber and contain important nutrients such as vitamin C, k, iron, magnesium, manganese, and fiber among others.
- Cultured or fermented foods e.g. yogurt and Kefir. These provide fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Also, they provide probiotics which improves digestion, improves immunity and reduces the growth of pathogenic bacteria among other functions.
- Proper protein rich foods e.g. poultry, fish, eggs, lentils, tofu – Suitable protein sources for growth and development.
- Seeds and nuts – Provides fibre, minerals and essential fatty acids essential for normal brain development.
- Whole foods e. whole grains, oats – low glycemic load foods which ensure sustained energy release and helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
OPTIMAL NUTRITION WHILST NURSING
How can I ensure my body has all the nutrients I need when nursing?
- Neuner’s nursing tea and stomach calm tea – Provides nutrients such as fenugreek and fennel which helps to increase breast milk production and reduce colic respectively.
- Colic calm – A homeopathic remedy which helps to relieve colic in babies.
- Prenatal omega mom – Provides essential nutrients for a healthy mother and baby.
- Probiotics – Promotes a healthy intestinal lining thus helping to improve digestion, immunity and reduce the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
- Omegas – For proper growth and development especially the development of the brain.
- Seeds and nuts
- Fenugreek seeds and powder, dill seeds – Helps to increase breast milk production
- Fennel tea – Helps to relieve colic.
- Green foods (organic) – Provides essential nutrients for proper growth and development.
- Peas, beans, lentils, brown rice – nutritious whole foods.
What is Autism?
It is a complex developmental disorder that affects how a person communicates, relates to other people and experiences the world around him/her with the signs appearing during early childhood.
How is it caused?
Its cause isn’t known although genetic & environmental factors have been implicated, but early diagnosis and proper intervention can immensely boost the outcome.
Can Autism be cured?
Though there is no cure, the growing research indicates that nutritional therapy can significantly improve the lives of autistic children.
Since autism is linked to other conditions such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD, a more comprehensive approach is required to manage the condition.
Poor digestion can lead to a condition known as leaky gut, mal-absorption of nutrients, inflammatory responses to foods that are not broken down, and a burden to the detoxification system. This leads to nutrient deficiencies, which can affect all cellular function including poor brain function.
How can Autism and its symptoms be managed?
- Eliminate food intolerance and allergens – Most autistic children experience gluten, lactose and casein intolerance. Giving gluten free and dairy alternatives to such kids enables them to feel and learn better due to reduced inattentiveness and hyperactivity, improved speech and language and decreased digestive disturbances among others.
- Correct digestive problems – Glutamine is an amino acid that is used to promote the healing of the gut lining. Also, giving digestive enzymes assist in food breakdown making nutrients available for absorption and utilization as well as relieving strain on digestive system while it recovers. In addition, probiotics helps in increasing the ratio of beneficial bacteria in relation to non-beneficial bacteria which is crucial for improved digestion and immunity
- Correcting deficiencies – Important vitamins such as vitamin A, B6, C and minerals magnesium and zinc are mostly deficient in autistic children. A good multivitamin provides these nutrients in proper formulations and combination to ensure a healthy immune system; improved gut health and brain function among others.
- Supplement essential fatty acids – Omegas are required for structural & functional development of the brain and anti-inflammatory properties
- Promoting a healthy methylation – Nutrients such as DMG, TMG & B vitamins are required for a healthy methylation essential for maintaining the RNA &DNA, balancing the mood, boosting detoxification and regulating inflammation
What type of food is recommended to manage Autism?
- Dairy free products
- Gluten free products
- Sugar free products
You want to quit smoking, you know all the bad effects it can have, you keep making excuses that now is not the right time, you tried it once and found it too difficult. We are here to help you get rid of these thoughts and find the healthiest way to #LiveLifeWell and quit smoking.
Smoking can have some severe side effects. Some of these include:
- lung disease, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, cervical cancer, pregnancy complications
- Females can experience early menopause, osteoporosis, cervical cancer, decreased fertility and pregnancy complications
- Males may experience low penile blood pressure which may contribute to impotence.
Quitting can be hard due to nicotine addiction. You can also experience other withdrawal symptoms such as nervousness, irritability, headache, tremors, and disrupted sleep.
How do you get past this? Proper supplementation and diet can help to control these symptoms, getting you back to normal in no time.
Here are some of our suggestions:
- Smokers cleanse kit – this is a three-part program that contains herbs, vitamins and amino acids aimed at respiratory system cleanse and support, reducing cravings and stress relieving.
- Total lung therapy – Helps to expel mucous from deep in the respiratory system, sooth and heal the inflamed tissues as well as protecting and strengthening the system.
- Antioxidants e.g. Coenzyme Q10, grape seed extract, N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC.) These protect the system against the oxidative stress and improve circulation and oxygenation of tissues. They also help to repair lungs and the other damaged cells.
- A potent multivitamin and mineral complex which provides important nutrients such as Vitamin C which is depleted by smoking and Vitamin B3 which helps to lessen the cravings.
- Peppermint, lavender and orange essential oils – they can help to fight the urge to smoke and can reduce headaches associated with nicotine withdrawal.
- Consume more fruits and vegetables to get all the beneficial nutrients you need such as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- Consume more cayenne and ginger- cayenne helps to desensitize respiratory tract cells to irritants from cigarette smoke.
- Consume more onions and garlic as they contain nutrients that help in detoxifying harmful substances from the body and can boost the immune system.
- Consume herbal teas that help in blood cleansing, relaxation and general well-being.
- Consume nuts and seeds that have nutrients with nerve-calming properties.
To find out more or get the support you need, talk to one of our in-store nutritionists today and don’t forget to #LiveLifeWell