Healthy U, as a proud sponsor of the Lamu Yoga Festival, proudly brings to you these easy, quick, minimal equipment recipes for tasty and natural food.
The food for the yogis!
Chocolate Chip Oat Balls
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips / chunks
- Oat Flour (for dusting)
- Mix the peanut butter and honey together. Make sure it is well combined.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (minus the oat floru) and mix the ingredients till it starts to form a dough like consistency.
- If too runny, slowly add increments of oat flour. Give it a few minutes in between for the oat flour to absorb the moisture.
- Roll the mixture into ½ inch balls between your hands.
- Give it a final roll in the oat flour to hold it all together.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Coconut mango balls
- ¾ cup dried mango
- ¾ cup unsalted cashew nuts
- ¼ cup oats
- 8-10 pitted dates
- ½ tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Desiccated coconut
- Except for the desiccated coconut, put all other ingredients in a blender. Whizz to a paste.
- Scatter desiccated coconut on a plate.
- When ready to roll the energy balls, spoon 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Using your hands, form medium size balls. Roll in the desiccated coconut.
- This recipe makes around 12 energy balls. Store them in the fridge in an airtight container.
Miso Ginger Dressing
- 1 rounded tablespoon white or yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove; pressed, minced or put through a press
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- Combine the miso and vinegar (or vinegar and lime juice) in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until amalgamated. You can also mix this in a blender.
- Toss with the salad of your choice.
Pickled Carrots and Cucumber
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- Carrots and Cucumbers thinly sliced
- Optional – sesame seeds for added crunch
- Bring vinegar, sugar, lime juice, salt, and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Place your vegetables in a jar, and cover with the pickled water.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, and use within 5 days
- Store in the fridge.
Peanut Sauce Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari.
- Combine ingredients together and stir well. Use as a dipping sauce or dressing.
Charcoal detox juice
- ¼ cup Coconut water
- ¼ cup Berry Company juice
- 1 tbsp lime
- ½ tbsp honey
- Pinches of activated charcoal to turn the juice black
- combine all ingredients together and serve chilled.
Morning Apple Cider Vinegar shot
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp water
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a cup and stir together.
- Take in the morning to help boost metabolism for the day.
Turmeric Soothing drink
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 pitted dates
- Honey to taste
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Boil all the ingredients together until milk is just starting to boil.
- Let cool for 5-10 mins
- Place in a blender till dates are blended and milk is frothy.