January, the ideal time to re-evaluate your health choices and cleanse away all of last years toxins.
Why do our bodies need a detox?
Every day, we are exposed to harmful toxins both from internal and external environments. Over time, these toxins build up and affect our health by creating inflammation, a build up of free radicals and acidity in the body. All these combined factors prematurely age the body and trigger illnesses.
How can you tell you need a detox?
Symptoms of excessive toxin build-up include frequent headaches, digestive problems, multiple allergies, sluggish metabolism, skin problems, chronic fatigue and difficulties in losing or gaining weight.
What can a detox achieve?
Hormonal balance, effective digestive system weight management, healthy skin, a strong immune system and overall optimal health are some of the benefits you can reap from detoxifying your body.
A balanced Detox Diet:
- Choose organic foods which are not contaminated with chemicals
- Choose high fibre foods e.g. oats, seeds, nuts, whole grains and cereals
- Avoid saturated fats, trans-fats and sugars. Instead, choose essential fatty acids rich in omega 3 found in oily fish, nuts and seeds.
- Drink plenty of purified water
- Increase intake of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices
- Choose protein from plant sources such as lentils, beans and peas
- Choose whole foods as a source of quality carbohydrate i.e. whole grain, brown rice, quinoa etc.
- Consume herbal teas
- Consume super foods e.g. spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass and chlorella
Our in-house nutritionist recommends several supplements when looking to detox:
- Renew life range, natures secret range, the real thing among others contain herbal extracts such as milk thistle, dandelion, burdock root, marshmallow, chlorella, red clover etc which supports proper detoxification.
- Antioxidants such as glutathione, vitamins C & E, coenzyme Q10 which support detoxification in the liver
- Psyllium husks, maxicol which provide fibre which aids bowel movement and growth of friendly bacteria.
- Cleansing herbs work by up-regulating the detoxification functions thus they don’t flush out vitamins and other supplements.
- It’s recommended to allow about one hour between detox formulas and other supplements.